It is one of the most popular methods in the world. Crepes, which can be salty or sweet depending on whether or not they are made with sugar, are thin slices made with egg, flour, and milk. They are made on a pan in a few minutes, just need to turn them around.
In the sweet version of this recipe, originally from French Brittany, some incorporate vanilla essence, citrus zest, liquors such as rum or brandy, chocolate chips, etc. The salted crepes elaborations allow you to prepare from exquisite stuffed cannelloni to lasagna or a “torta de embutidos,” typical of Argentina, with tomato, lettuce, cheese, different cold cuts and a touch of mayonnaise sauce.
We can also find healthy versions, which incorporate spinach in the recipe to achieve healthy colorful crepes. You choose the filling, but this time we suggest vegetables with a touch of feta cheese.
Ingredients for 4 crepes
For the crepes
- 275 ml of milk
- 80 g fresh spinach
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- A pinch of salt
- 20 g melted butter
- 140 g whole wheat flour
For the filling of 4 crepes
- 20 g of fresh baby spinach
- 2 tomatoes
- 6 mushrooms
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1/2 onion
- 25 g feta cheese
- Ground black pepper
- Various seeds (optional)
Step by step elaboration
- Crush the spinach with the milk in a blender until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Add the egg, ground ginger, a pinch of salt, melted butter and flour. Crush again at high power until there are no lumps in the dough.
- Let the dough rest in the fridge for an hour, so it gains body.
- Heat a pancake maker over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour a dough ladle in the center and quickly spread throughout the base.
- When the edges begin to peel off the base of the pancake maker, carefully lift and turn to cook on the other side.
- Move the crepe to a clean plate and continue making crepes with the rest of the dough until it’s finished.
- For the filling, wash and dry the spinach leaves well. Cut the tomatoes and zucchini into discs, the onion in julienne and the mushrooms in slices.
- Fill the crepes with the vegetables, seasoned to taste, and with the crumbled feta cheese.
- To add a crispy touch, sprinkle with sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, or any other of your taste.